Are you getting the most out of your Serio Knowledgebase? The Serio Knowledgebase is an excellent resource for assisting your Helpdesk/Service Desk in resolving Incidents. Here are a few tips to help you use it more effectively.
Finding Incidents with the Knowledgebase
The Knowledgebase is a great tool for locating Incidents when you remember what they are about, or roughly when they occurred, but can't seem to find them when searching under the appropriate problem area category or customer.
To find Incidents with the Knowledgebase,
- Choose 'Manage Incidents' from the SerioClient menu.
- Switch to the 'Knowledgebase Query' tab page.
- In the Search Phrase box, enter a word or phrase that you think will identify the Incident you are looking for (e.g. Print Problem). Click on 'Search Now!'.
Narrowing Down your Search
If you get too many results, there are lots of ways that you can narrow down your search.
- You can put your search phrase into double quotation marks, e.g. "print problem". This restricts Serio to searching for Incidents which contain the exact phrase print problem in their Description or Action History. Without the double quotation marks, Serio can match Incidents that contain either the word print or the word problem.
- You can use the keywords and and not in your search phrase. For example, the query print and problem will only match Incidents that contain both words, while the query print and not problem will match Incidents that contain the word print but not problem.
- You can narrow your search with criteria. For example, to restrict to searching for Incidents logged in June 2006:
i. Choose 'Incident/Problem/Change' from the 'Search for' drop-down menu, then select 'Incident' from the 'Equal to' drop-down menu, and click the 'Add' button.
ii. Choose 'Month' from the 'Search for' drop-down menu, then select 'Jun' from the 'Equal to' drop-down menu, and click the 'Add' button.
iii. Choose 'Year' from the 'Search for' drop-down menu, then type 2006 in the 'Equal to' field, and click the 'Add' button.
Having refined your search, click 'Search Now!' again.
Choosing Incidents to Work on
Now you have a list of Incidents that you are interested in, how do you start working on these?
- Right click on the list of Knowledgebase articles that Serio has found (left pane).
- Choose 'Add Issue to Select List' or 'Add All' to select the Incidents you want to work on.
- Click on 'Find Incidents'.